- Is API MELAFIX™ fish remedy recommended for freshwater tanks?
API MELAFIX fish remedy will treat your fish’s symptoms in freshwater and saltwater aquariums. If you are treating fish in a marine or saltwater aquarium, dose with API MARINE MELAFIX fish remedy.
- How do I diagnose disease in my fish?
Many disease symptoms will be clearly visible, such as white streaks, lesions, protruding eyes, and other unusual marks or spots on your fish. If you suspect your fish has a disease, it will fall under the categories of fungal, parasitic, or bacterial. One way to diagnose is by matching fish symptoms to the description of a wide range of API fish remedies, which include treatments specific to Ich disease, Betta fish, and various common symptoms (hole-in-the-head, eye cloud, fin & tail rot, etc.).
- Does API MELAFIX™ fish remedy work for fin rot and Ich if my fish is fighting both?
API MELAFIX fish remedy heals bacterial infections such as fin & tail rot, eye cloud, popeye, body slime, and mouth fungus. As a general note, all API fish remedies can be used in conjunction with each other safely, as long as you are able to follow the directions for both during treatment. We would not recommend using more than two fish remedies at a time unless you are certain of the diagnosis of multiple ailments, so that you can tell which fish remedies are working or not working while troubleshooting a stubborn symptom or disease.
- After treating my aquarium for several days with MELAFIX™ fish remedy, my water turned very foamy, and hasn’t gotten any less foamy over the past three days. Is this normal?
Yes, it is normal to see some foaming when using API MELAFIX fish remedy, and it is not harmful as long as the proper doses were given. In terms of duration, the foaming of this product can last a variable amount of time depending on what is dissolved in the water. Water that contains a lot of dissolved organics or proteins can experience more foaming that lasts for long periods of time, but in general, if foaming lasts more than a week after discontinuing the treatment, we would recommend more frequent water changes and the addition of ACTIVATED CARBON or BIO-CHEM ZORB™ filtration media in order to eliminate any remaining fish remedy. Make sure that skimmers are turned off during treatment, as this would contribute to excessive foaming. It may be prudent to turn the skimmer pump flow down when it is restarted after treatment, to account for fish remedy residues until they clear from the system.
- What does API MELAFIX™ fish remedy do?
API MELAFIX fish remedy is a treatment for external bacterial infections in fish, such as fin rot or open wounds.
- Is API MELAFIX™ fish remedy safe with invertebrates such as snails and shrimps? Will it harm the biological filter or aquarium plants?
API MELAFIX fish remedy is completely safe with invertebrates such as snails and shrimps, and will not harm the biological filter or aquarium plants.
- Can I use API MELAFIX™ fish remedy and API PIMAFIX™ fish remedy together?
Yes, this combination is in fact recommended if treating stubborn infections. Use each fish remedy at the recommended dose. There is no need to reduce the dose when using both of them.
- Can I use API MELAFIX™ fish remedy with any other API fish remedies or products?
API MELAFIX fish remedy can be used safely with all other API fish remedies and products.